Meet the best eye doctors in Hyderabad
ICL represents a new era in lens replacement surgery.
This surgery is currently unavailable to long-sighted patients.
An implantable Collamer lens (ICL) is an artificial lens permanently implanted in the eye. The lens is used to treat:
- Myopia (nearsightedness)
- Hyperopia (farsightedness)
Implanting an ICL requires surgery. A surgery places the lens between the eye’s natural lens and iris. This lens is like a contact lens, and you cannot feel it after putting it in the eye.
The ICL is made of plastic and collagen called Collamer. It’s also known as phakic IOL.
ICL surgery isn’t for every patient. However, this has proven to be an alternative for patients who couldn’t get laser eye surgery.
Benefits of having an implantable Collamer lens:
Apart from improvised vision, there are many benefitting factors of an ICL:
- It can fix severe nearsightedness that cannot be corrected with other surgeries like LASIK, PRK, and Smile
- An ideal match for patients with chronically dry eyes since the lens is less likely to cause dryness
- This procedure is meant to be permanent though provision to remove it is also available
- The lens provides excellent night vision
- Recovery is usually quick because the tissue is not removed
- People who can’t get laser eye surgery might be good candidates for ICL
HOW DOES ICL SURGERY WORK?
- Your ICL procedure will be performed at a Day Procedure Centre
- Once a patient is admitted, an anaesthetist shall discuss the general health aspects and the details of the procedure
- With sedation administered, patients will feel more relaxed during the procedure. The anaesthetist will be available to take care of you and make you feel comfortable
- Eyes shall be numbed with anaesthetic eye drops, and the doctor will place a small instrument between your eyelids. This step is to prevent you from blinking. You will not see the procedure happening as a patient but may notice visual cues like a microscope’s bright lights
- The customised lens is folded into a special injector, and the doctor will insert the ICL by making a small opening. Now, the ICL will be unfolded and be positioned by the doctor. Opening seals heal automatically without the need for any stitches
- After 20-30 minutes inside the theatre, you will have to be collected by someone who stays with you at home post-surgery and during recovery. The entire duration at the centre shall be of around 2-3 hours
- Usually, the eyes are treated at a minimum of one week apart
WHAT IS A REFRACTIVE ERROR?
When we see the light entering the eye, it is bent by the cornea, and the lens focuses on the retina. Images may appear to be blurry if the light doesn’t correctly focus.
The four most common types of refractive errors are:
Refractive surgery works either by changing the cornea’s shape (Laser Vision Correction) or using an implantable lens to change the focusing power of the eye. At Global Eye Hospital, our patients have access to the most advanced vision correction technology and are confident that they will have the procedure that fits them the best.
Pay Later with Easy Finance Options
At Global Eye Hospital, we offer different treatment plans to make it easier for our patients; by providing a 0% finance* option for all our surgeries, we take a step closer to a holistic patient care policy.
33% of the amount is to be paid by the client as a down payment, and Bajaj Finserv finances the remaining 67%. Only a one-time processing fee of INR 687/- is charged by Bajaj Finserv.
*Subject to eligibility