We all know the digital world affects the eyes, but how bad?
We use electronic devices with screens more than we did ten years ago. Every task has become digital, like digital payments, work, online shopping, etc. Everything being digital is convenient, but it affects the eyes if we use them often. The world average of a person’s screen time is 6 hours and 56 minutes, to round it up to 7 hours per day. 7 hours of staring at a digital screen affect your body, mainly the eyes. List of various effects,
- Nearsightedness or myopia can occur because when we are staring at a digital screen, we focus on a single object for so much time that it makes it difficult for our eyes to focus on faraway objects. Nowadays, kids spend most of their time with phones and tablets, increasing the risk of myopia.
- Dryness and itchiness can occur in your eyes while looking at a digital screen; we blink less than usual, making our eyes dry up and causing irritation.
- Eye fatigue will occur because of excessive screen time resulting in double vision and headaches.
- Retinal damage can occur as we allow more blue light on our retina. Studies show exposing the eyes too long to high-density lights will damage the retina, leading to vitreoretinal surgery.
- Finally, Eye focus-flexibility will be lost, making it difficult to focus at different distances.
Tips to take care of your eyes
- If you have glasses, make sure they are dirt and smudges free. This makes it easy for the eyes to see through the glasses clearly without any difficulty.
- When looking at a screen, position your screen precisely at your eye level. This makes it easier for the eyes without straining them.
- When you face difficulty seeing text on the screen, enlarge the text to your comfort. This reduces the stress on the eyes to focus. If the screen has a low resolution, change the settings or update your screen.
- There is an in-built feature called Night-shield or Night-light on smartphones and computers, which adds an extra layer to your screen, blocking the blue light. This makes the screen a little yellow to reduce the density of colours on the screen.
- If you are working as a graphic designer or a digital artist, seeing colours in the right tone is necessary, so it is better to go for anti-glare glasses, which reduce the glare from the light source.
- Eat foods rich in Vitamin A, Omega-3 fatty acids, Vitamin E and several other nutrients required for healthy eyes. Eggs, spinach, carrots, and fish are excellent foods to maintain eye health.
- Get an annual eye checkup at the best eye care hospital in Hyderabad to have a clear picture of the condition of your eyes.
Even though our lives are changing day by day and becoming more dependent on digital screens, we must take the necessary steps to maintain our health and well being. Follow the tips mentioned above provided by the best eye care hospital in Hyderabad to avoid eye conditions and lead a stress-free life.